Monday, August 17, 2009

Counting calories


Most women I know make their food choices these days based on calories. Do I eat this delicious hoagie for lunch, or a grilled tofu salad hold the dressing. Brides who think their arms looked kinda tubby at their dress fitting the other day make the obvious, no taste salad choice. But they are cranky about it, let me tell you.

A totally regular, non dieting woman’s diet would normally consist of 2,000 calories a day. But to shed pounds you want to be closer to about 1,200 a day. Do you know what you have to eat – or not eat – to stay under 1,200 cals a day? Well it’s a not a lot. I fell off the wagon this weekend and think that the only way to really learn my lesson is to publicly humiliate myself. Here’s where I went wrong.

Saturday:

A.M.

I’ll be good, I’ll just go to Dunkin Donuts and get one of those egg white flatbread things (+290 calories). I rip off the top slice and feed it to my dog (-40 calories), except for that one piece that had some melted cheese on it that I took a bite of (+12 calories). To wash it down, I’ll have a medium iced decaf coffee with Skim Milk thank you very much (+35 calories) and a sweet and low (+4 calories) – no sugar since I’m dieting.

While I’m at DD, I’ll pick up a box of munchkins for Pant’s pool party – 50 please. I’ll just have two of these and then close the box up, no one will notice that there are 48-47 munchkins instead of the full 50 (+120 calories).

Noonish

Go shopping with Bro, expertly avoid mall food court. I should take off a few cals for the walks around the mall, but won’t because I avoided the gym all weekend and that sounds like cheating.

2 ish

Decide I’m starving, go to Wendy’s – favorite philly fast food. Get a single (+420 calories) scrape off some of the mayo and pickles (-15 calories). Small fries (+330 calories), but give 1/3 to dog and brother (-75 calories). Diet coke – cause I’m dieting.

Pool Party

Hard to tell, took a bite of Pants’ burger (let’s say +30 calories), ate some chips – full fat kind (+120 calories), had some spinach square thing – tasted good, so probably high-cal (+130 calories) about 4 more munchkins (+240 calories) couple diet cokes – cause I’m dieting.

P.M.

Didn’t eat anything at pool party basically, so starving by 8. Get a turkey hoagie (+800 calories) but only eat half (-400 calories) and one bite of my dad’s steak sandwich (+50 calories) and some chips (+70 calories). Diet coke, obvi.

So I’m about 900-1100 calories over my goal for the day – and this doesn’t even include the foods I forgot about. What that means is flabby arms are here to stay. Oy, today I'm eating only hard boiled eggs, cucumbers and weight watchers string cheese.



No comments: