Thursday, August 27, 2009

Audio books


I'm a self-professed suburban geek these days, so I might as well publicly humiliate myself some more. I am experiencing my very first audio book -- which I borrowed from my town library. Yeah, that's right. I said library and audio book in the same sentence.

I drive to work, so that gives me a 1/2 hour commute, 2 times a day, in a car with a CD player. What's a girl to do? I can only listen to trashy morning radio for so long before I feel like between my radio show habits, my reality TV habits, and my obsession with teenage vampire books, I'm sort of like the human equivalent of red jello.

So here I am, into my first week of a riveting Nicholas Sparks audio book, and I got a gripe. While I'm really enjoying the new found time management skills I've developed, I've got a bone to pick with 'management' -- Where do you find these narrators? The dude narrating my story is like a high school drama teacher after a scotch and a night of karaoke. It's really distracting and yet I can't turn away. His depiction of what these characters should sound like is bananas. Which got me thinking, how much does this guy get paid to sit in a sound room and read a book out loud into a microphone? And if he can do it, why can't I? Think of all the books that could benefit from my voice, and me from their big, deep pockets. So here's what I'm pitching myself to read for:
  • He's Just Not That Into You...because I would totally insert my own side commentary -- I mean, I'm not naming names, but I've wanted to read this book to many a friend, and here's my chance.
  • Pride & Prejudice...because I've never read it and I know I should, and it's super long which means I'd probably get paid a lot. Sweet.

No comments: