Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm not quite sure if I'm comfortable with this

It's no secret that magazines and newspapers are pretty much screwed - every day another one bites the dust, and the sound of trees sighing in relief can be heard across the land. But truthfully, I'm not okay with it. I'm okay with blogging my inner-most thoughts. I'm intrigued with the idea of sharing my stream of consciousness with whomever will listen.  I'm totally up for the Facebook Reunion Tour and seeing who got knocked up, who's doin' who, who found Jesus. The truth is, I use my fingers for every form of communication these days - it's a shame they don't just convert sign language to the QWERTY placement, we'd all be pros. 

But there's something about that fresh magazine smell, when you fan through the pages and they just smells papery and important. And the newspaper's crisp edges are still sort of crimped together in a couple corners so you have to lick your ink-stained fingers to spread them apart. I just love the ritual of it all. And sitting at the kitchen table with my laptop and coffee on a Sunday morning instead of my NY Times and coffee just seems a little bit too much like an Ikea commercial for my liking.

So here's to hoping a few of the good ones stick it out. I've made my list below for those I'm rooting for -- the rest, take it or leave it -- siyonara suckers.

New York magazine - I do the weekly crossword religiously. It's part and parcel to me not turning into a scorching monster on Mondays.

The New Yorker - I don't read this as often as I should, but it's smart, sophisticated, and it's got literary clout that should not be negotiated. I want to be able to read this when I'm 45 and need to be inspired by something other than my dog's cuteness or a pair of espadrilles.

Lucky Magazine - a girl needs her magalog. That's magazine catalog, for those of you who don't know Lucky. You bitches already took Domino. Step. Away. From. Lucky. Or I will seriously hurt you.

Westchester Magazine - I live in Westchester, and I need to know what these people find important, so I can make fun of them and continue on my quest for county resident domination.

NY Times - it's bible-esque, just don't mess with it. Thursday Style section, weekend op-eds, Sunday business section...it's why newspapers were invented.

The rest (and yes, that includes you, Vogue, you've been a disappointment to me the last year or so...Anna's eyesight must be going) can kiss it. 


No comments: