Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Screw politics, give me french fries


You know what I don't understand... it's going on a hunger strike. Why would anyone do that? Something bad happens to you and to protest you make something else bad happen to you?! I mean a hunger strike to fit into a dress is one thing, but as a political statement - no way.
Imagine if I stopped eating every time I was pissed at Pants for not picking his underwear off the bathroom floor - I would never eat. I would weigh 10 pounds and he'd be just fine with that. So you are locked in a foreign jail for spying and you decide not to eat anything? What do you mean? You are living on the cold, wet floor of some Iranian jail with creepy looking guards watching your every movement, far removed from friends and family with nothing to do all day long and you stop eating?! Hello, meal time would be the best part of the day. That piece of pita with hummus slathered on it would taste like filet mignon with butter whipped mashed potatoes on the side. Why would you give that up. Plus you need your strength to try to whittle your way out by carving a whole in the dirt wall cell. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Maybe it's my Jew perspective, but not eating is not the route I would take. It would be something more like non-stop, constant whinning until the guard got so sick of my voice that he just opens the door and looks the other way. That's how I got a Wii this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, that's exactly how it happened, Ette 1 would not stop whinning until she got what she wanted from everyone in the family - still it was a lovely Mother's Day! Thanks again!
ette1mom

Lunch lady said...

Mayhaps you've missed the entire point of a hunger strike. As a victim, it's about reclaiming control and not being subjected to someone else's will. Mickey D's fries and Pop 'Ems aren't the exactly the point.