Monday, December 8, 2008

Did you know

That compliment and complement are two separate words - with different meanings, that are spelled differently?!?!

I learned that today, thought I'd share.

Compliment:
1 a: an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration ; especially : an admiring remark b: formal and respectful recognition : honor2plural : best wishes : regards

Here's how you would use it:
If someone said to me "Ette1, your ring is so blingy." I would say, "Thank you for that compliment, and I know."

Complement:
1 a: something that fills up, completes, or makes perfect b: the quantity, number, or assortment required to make a thing complete ; especially : the whole force or personnel of a ship c: one of two mutually completing parts : counterpart

Here's how to use it:
The gift that would best complement my ring is diamond earrings. (Pants I'm serious, Hanukah, work it out)


Enjoy the knowledge!

No comments: