Thursday, July 23, 2009

Another office gripe


I got a lot of 'em. And I'm not particularly picky, either. But something that really gets me is the Computer Speaker Abuser. This person does not understand volume control, nor do they own a pair of headphones, but what they DO have is a terrible taste in music, and you're going to hear about it, from one cat-screeching song to the next. I work with one said offender. As a writer, I value my peace and quiet, while I'm minding my P's and Q's and crossing my T's and dotting my I's. And every day, I have to suffer at the hand of the sado-masochistic music man. I'm all for melody, and soft, unoffensive music coming from somewhere you can't quite place -- if executed properly it can be nostalgic and sweet. But when you are forced to listen to something you a) wouldn't listen to in a million years, and b) would rather be chopped up and served to vamps while lucid than listen to...well then, my friends, your work will suffer.

Today mine did as I had to suffer through melodramatic alt-rock end-of-the-world emo drones mixed with heavy metal screaming, an awful musician's interview akin to a bad, slow episode of Inside the Actor's Studio, and then thrown in for good measure (I kid not), Funky Cold Medina, which he sang along to. Outloud.

Yes, I've got headphones, which I am FORCED to use all day long (and I have sensitive ear canals, those damn things hurt and I end up going home with crampy ears - not fun). But that's not the point. Where do we draw the line and say enough is enough? Where are the rules? Where's the corporate overlord to slap him with a fine and send his ass to HR?

Tomorrow, if I even hear a peep of Def Leopard-ness, his ass is going down. It's Friday, after all, and so help me if he gets some crappy song stuck in my head all weekend.

No comments: