Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This is why we're fat


I have figured out why Americans are fat. It's easier to throw something in the micro and call it a day, or mix some ingredients out of a box (hello, mac and cheese, I love you) then to actually cook a meal from scratch. I know, major aha moment. Whatever.

I work a full time job. Tonight after work I went to the eye doctor to get my peepers checked out, then I went to the grocery store to do some shopping for the week. I decided I wanted to make enchiladas. Seems easy enough, right? I found a trusted Martha recipe and got all my ingredients...except that I didn't really READ the recipe in terms of steps, process, etc. How f-ing hard can it be to wrap some stuff in a tortilla, put it in a casserole dish and bake it?

This recipe had me making my own tomatillo sauce. From scratch. That means chopping the veggies, sauteing them, and then pureeing them in the food processor. And as any cook knows, the experience starts to get stressful when more than 2 pots/pans/appliances get dirty.

I had to hand shred a rotisserie chicken. I had to pre-cook all the corn tortillas, individually on the stove top. Of course I had to make my famous guac, because what good is an enchilada without some guac. Before you know it, I'm an hour and a half into this and the friggin casserole hasn't hit the oven yet. I mean, seriously.

There are only so many hours in the day. I still haven't figured out how to fit the whole gym thing into my day -- lord only knows how that will get accomplished, I'll have to go when I'm sleeping.
It's too much work. It's much easier to just open a box of Kraft and be done with it. Which means fatso. Which is why we are fat. And why kids don't know what gardens look like but they can tell you the contents of every meal on the McDonald's drive thru menu.

It's all just so stressful. Thank god for margarita mix...

No comments: