Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Finish your thought!!


What's up with people who seem to speak in the language known as Ellipsis? As in, they start a sentence but don't finish it.

For example...you're on the train and someone says "Would you mind if I..." and then they just make a motion with their hand to indicate that they would like to sit in the seat next to you.

Or, you're in a restaurant and someone asks about the specials..."What's the fish like -- is it..." as if the waiter is supposed to know where you are going with that thought.


Or how about this one. Someone asks you for the time by saying "Excuse me, do you know..." and then they just point to their wrist, where, surprise, there is no watch or they wouldn't have to ask you. What's up with that?

If you start a sentence why can't you finish it? Why just let your voice trail off as if your mind suddenly went dark mid-thought?


I'm going to start finishing people's thoughts when they do this to me..just go ahead and assume what they want to say. I suggest you do the same.

For example, when on the train and someone says "Would you mind if I..." just go ahead and say "give me a back massage? Great!! I'd love one, thanks!" and just turn around to present them with your neck.

It'll be fun. You'll see.

No comments: