Monday, February 16, 2009

Big Love - big sham or big idea?


I love TV for it's ability to glorify just about anything. From stupid teenagers getting drunk and shagging each other's boyfriends, to the exploration of polygamy and it's many, many facets - I think TV and all the options it provides us for entertainment, education, insight, etc is great. (Hello, My Big Redneck Wedding?!) So last night, I'm watching Big Love, and I'm thinking about this whole polygamy thing...one man, multiple wives. Forget about the religious, righteous, eternal salvation thing, I'm looking at this from a purely materialistic and emotional standpoint. From a woman's perspective, this means - being responsible a percentage of the time for wifely things. Sounds good to me so far...from a husband's perspective, it means shagging more frequently with multiple ladies. Okay, I can't think of a man who would refute that. It means cooking dinner a third of the time. It means having more hands around to help with kids, and errands, having more beauty products in the bathroom to choose from, clothes to borrow...this doesn't sound so bad. I'm starting to think this is a more beneficial situation for the ladies - are the men getting the short end of the stick here? Is it possible?!

But I would have to pick my sister wives, no questions about it. Margine would be in - she'd be fun to hang out and get drunk with (oh, because in my version of this life, alcohol is not only allowed, but necessary), Barb would be in because she'd be the wife that would make sure the plants had water and that there was enough milk in the fridge. She'd take care of business. Nicki would be out, ou, out. None of this uptight, drama-causing, eyes to the floor biting lip BS while the shit hits the fan around her. No sirree.
I think her bitchiness has to do with the fact that her top button on her blouse is always cutting off circulation to her face, making her very temperamental.

H-ette, this is merely a mental exercise I am sharing with the readerettes - don't you dare get any ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched the same show and had similar thoughts...then I realized that I am already blessed. You see, Mrs. Nar has multiple faces that combine all three wives into one super wife.
We all know she has the Barb in her. The god-mother of all who makes sure sh*t gets done and everyone is protected.
On occasion, the bitchy Nickki comes out...whatch out, that keeps you on your toes.
And just recently, Mrs. Nar found her funny, and the Margie part is alive and well. What a joy to be around!
So you see Ette 2, you don't need multiple wives, just one wife with muliple personalties.
I'm a lucky Nar.