Monday, November 5, 2007

Knock knock, who's there...

No one because TV writers are on strike, so they can't offer you funny jokes today. Which means Letterman and Leno can't either.


When I think of laborers who are working under unethical and abusive conditions with poor pay and benefits, I think of... Entertainment writers. Right, those unfortunate few who toil day and night popping NoDoze at typewriters to recycle tired jokes about Britney Spears and her unfortunate lack of undergarments. Those are the guys I'm really feeling bad for today. The big sticking point in strike negotiations - the writers guild wants to double their residual pay for DVD sales. Someone hand me a picket sign!

What I don't understand is why these entertainment shows can't still go on. You're telling me Letterman - who is a comic - can't come up with 4 minutes of monologue before he has to sit down and chat with a celebrity about his/her new movie/tv show/book/jewelry line? How much clever writing goes into Stupid Pet Tricks I wonder.

I guess I'm technically and entertainment writer too, and I don't get paid squat to talk to you about Britney's panties, but do you hear me complaining? Letterman, if you need content for tonight's how, give me a buzz. I'll face the wrath of the union and jump right over that picket line. If I don't get a call and the strike persists, then I guess I'll just switch over to BBCA - their stuff is much funnier anyway.

No comments: