Friday, November 9, 2007

Veteran's Day


Sunday is Veteran's Day, traditionally observed via a day off on the next Monday, but sadly I do not have the day off.

Veteran's Day is the American holiday honoring our military vets. (Not veterinarians). It's a day to thank our vets for their service and acknowledge their contributions to our national security. I frankly don't understand how anyone would sign themselves up willingly, knowing they are risking their lives, but obviously we're very lucky that people do.

I feel it's my civic duty to have the day off from work so that I can formally acknowledge this important day for our nation. I've created a list of activities I'd commit to completing if I did have the day off. I'll be sending this to HR shortly, let me know if you have anything to add:

- Make out with a guy currently in the military (since most military guys are off to war, I'll substitute pretty much anyone wearing a uniform)
- Shoot something (rifle range would be ideal, if I can't get out to one then I'll shoot pictures with my new digital camera I guess)
- Won't ask, won't tell
- Drive over the Veteran's Memorial Bridge (on my way to visit my friends who live in Boston)
- Make a patriotic pin wheel from paper, a pencil and a pushpin
- Figure out rank order of the following positions within the military: officer, lieutenant, colonel, general, major, admiral
- Figure out how to spell lieutenant

Thanks Veterans
Ok, and veterinarians too

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

We have a military veteran friend who was honorably discharged during the Vietnam era. He served in the US Navy while having dual citizenship (Canadian/US). He was born in Canada and his family moved to New York when he was a child and became dual Canadian and US Citizens.

After discharge my friend worked in the US for over 3 decades, paying US taxes and Social Security. When it came time to retire and apply for his pension he was informed that the US Department of Homeland Security had revoked his US citizenship and did not recognize his Canadian citizenship.

The Social Security Administration will not begin his pension payments until his citizenship issue is resolved. He has been trying to work this matter through the VA, his local representatives in government (congressional level) and directly through the Social Security Office. No one seems to know what to do, who should take action and who has responsibility. The DHS will not reply to his inquiries. Any ideas?

For more details see:

http://rosecoveredglasses.blogspot.com/2007/11/help-for-us-navy-vet-without-country.html