Thursday, December 27, 2007

Starbucks is Not Your Office

I get it. I'm a freelancer too. I enjoy flaunting my unemployed employ-ability. I enjoy camaraderie amongst my fellow wi-fi seekers; ah, the feeling of accomplishment when I score that coveted real estate by the power outlet so I can out-last the bunch with nowhere to stick their power cords. But I am a little confused when the concept took a turn. It seems freebie-lancers are now pulling up U-Hauls with desks and filing cabinets in tow and setting up office at Starbucks.

I passed through a Starbucks on the Upper East the other day and witnessed a worker bee who musta paid off the barista or something because she had pulled 4 tables together to create a larger "corporate" desk at which she sat behind; the entire surface covered in file folders stacked high...she literally had her Blackberry, iPod, iPhone, digital camera and more splayed across the various paperwork. Nary a coffee in sight. What gives?

I feel like if you are going to work from home (i.e. holed up in a coffee shop keeping amped up on mocha-loco double-dose latte surprises so to "focus" on task at hand) then at least have the courtesy to share your desk with me; II need the power outlet, and I promise not to steal your clients if you buy me a drink.

No comments: