Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I’m less funny in chicago


Pants and I were in chi-town this weekend for a little architecture, a bit of lake and a touch of romance. All were lovely. While New Yorker’s were drowning in record-level rain storms, we were basking in the glow of Illinois sunshine. I know that doesn’t sound normal – the weather in Chicago is mostly ass with wind and freezing temps, but we lucked out and it was fab. And since I know you expect interesting recaps of my activities, I’m trying to sit here and come up with something funny to say about it. But everyone we encountered was so freaking nice that I don’t have anything to complain about. Every waiter we met in the whole city was so smiley and happy to be alive and serve us – I can’t even complain about how happy they were because the shear power of their un-obnoxiousness blew my crappy attitude out the window. There were lots of other surprising great things about the weekend:

  • Lots of stuff was free: We strolled into the zoo without a ticket booth in sight. There’s something about seeing a gorilla poop up close for free that is exhilarating.
  • They have a beach! I know crazy shit right?! I guess it’s a lake, but there was a huge sandy stretch of nice beach to chillax on. If only they had those straggly guys pimping Coronas stomping around the beach it would be perfect.
  • You look way skinny reflected in that weird Tiffany bean thing in Millennium Park.
  • Ooh, I won 27 dollars with a scratch off lotto ticket – nice huh – that never happens in NYC.

I guess if I HAD TO complain about something I could come up with a few thoughts…

  • They put whole pickles and tomatoes on their hot dogs – ew
  • Proximity to clients is a total downside, luckily I didn’t bump into them
  • “Extreme” lake speedboat tour was slightly less extreme than say an annoying stop-and-go bus ride across town
  • No Oprah sightings, although I did see that little guy that Kelly Ripa is married too, he’s cute

Although it was a great weekend, I'm happy to report that with just a day back in NY, I'm already feeling like my old curmudgeon self. I'm sure tomorrow's post will be much more offensive and mean, as per my usual.




No comments: