Monday, June 23, 2008

Elite-ette

In between shots and making out with really tall guys this weekend (not me Pants I swear), we had time for some stimulating, intellectual conversation over breakfast biscuits. The subject of elitism came up. We all know I’m a Hil gal but one of the knocks against Obizzle in the media is that he’s elitist. And we wondered why is that such a bad thing? Do we really need our president to be yokel? Americans want to vote for the guy they think they can sit down and have a beer with and who likes shooting guns at small animals. The guy who doesn’t use fancy words, or act too smart. Because why exactly – they don’t feel like they can relate? I say, how about we vote for the smartest guy (or gal) we can find. The one with the best education, the one with the smartest friends, who’s had the hardest to get jobs. Frankly I’m ok with the president of the United States being smarter than me – that actually makes me feel safe. I don’t care if s/he has never had a beer in her/his life. I don’t care if s/he drinks French champagne out of a crystal goblet while reading the Economist and practicing Latin trivia with a Nobel Prize-winning laureate – all of these score bonus points in my book. How about we find another reason to hate on Obama – perhaps something like the fact that his wife and spiritual advisers are honky-hating homophobes… not the fact that he’s kinda smart and can pronounce words real good.


No comments: