Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Latrines

I clogged the toilet. It was very stupid, really. I was doing a good thing - I was actually cleaning the toilet with this invention called the Clorox Toilet Wand. This stupid invention is basically the environment's nemesis. Attach a sponge to a stick, swish it around the bowl once or twice and then toss the sponge. Sayonara.

Problem is, I wasn't really paying attention when I was cleaning. I was probably thinking about how glamorous and exciting my life used to be - and I tossed the sponge into the bowl, flushed and walked away. And then I realized I just flushed an expandable sponge down the toilet. Brilliant.

So as I am trying to figure out how to retrieve this sponge, it
got me thinking about something I've never given much thought to - are toilet pipes shaped the way they are for poo to pass through? Or is our poo cylindrical in order to fit through toilet pipes? Poo for thought...

I was reluctant to hire a plumber b/c that's just annoying and who wants to sit around and wait for a plumber to show up - but I will tell you that a quick little Google search proves I am not the first person to have commited this crime. Google is literally the best thing ever. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one thing with me, it would surely be Google.

It was Google that led me to this little trick, which I am going to now share with you readerettes. Here's how you unclog a toilet, no matter the culprit: Dish soap. Yup, two tablespoons (or two turns of the pan) into the bowl, and then simultaneous flushing and plunging and three flushes later your toilet water is free as a bird. And damn if your pipes aren't lubed.

Hubby will be so proud.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am literally speechless at this one. I hope my throne doesn't become a bubbly bidet the next time I have to make a deposit.