Monday, October 22, 2007

Dyslexia is a real disease


or it’s at least a learning disability - so I can't get fired for it can I?

True story.
My boss was out of town last week, but we were scheduled to attend a meeting in Woonsocket RI today (that’s right Woonsocket - fun). So she asked me to send her the travel details, which of course I diligently did. I sent her the Amtrak ticket reservation with all the details confirming the 8:03 train this morning, except at the top of the confirmation email – I wrote, “we’re taking the 8:30 train and I’ll meet you at the station.” As I took my seat in the Quiet Car to avoid having to chat with her for 3 and a half hours, I shot off an email telling her where to find me. She was at Dunkin Donuts getting coffee and likely a chocolate glazed when she replied, “I thought it was the 8:30 train?!” Just as the train pulled out of the station without her I realized my minor, albeit important error. Suffice it to say, she was not happy (even though she could have glanced at the reservation to get the right time). HR has already received a full complaint. But help me out here. Can I really be to blame for what many millions of American’s suffer from daily? I think not. In fact my boss should be concerned, nay, she should be down right worried about this newly developed neurological discrepancy instead of reprimanding me. In fact I may take this up with my lawyer – JMF please be on notice. This smacks of blatant discrimination. Seriously, I could have a case here, I’ve been wronged.

I encourage our readers to take a stand on dyslexia. Don’t let another innocent, well-meaning, but bad-spelling individual like myself by victimized any longer.

I’m an initiating the Dyslexic Organization for Reading and Ritting Korrectly.

Please read below and learn more about this important issue. Donations may be made to DORRK c/o ette1.

See the below excerpt from Dyslexia.org and make a commitment to help.

Dyslexia is a severe reading problem of neurological origin in a person with average or above average intelligence, for whom there are no other physical, medical, or psychological conditions sufficiently serious to account for the language handling deficits.

Conservative estimates vary between 5 and 10 per cent of the population. No correlation has been found between the incidence of dyslexia and nationality, income, ethnicity, race, or IQ, and experts are even beginning to question whether it is more common among boys than girls.

No comments: