Thursday, October 18, 2007

Identity Crisis



So I just had a realization, as I began to pre-fill out my marriage license application in anticipation for honna's and my visit tomorrow to Town Hall, and as I lingered over the line asking me to fill in my post-wedding surname it occurred to me that what I put on that line is a big deal. Like Tag-Sale-at-Saks big deal. Or Yankees-Not-Making-It-Past-First-Series big deal. Or even bigger than that; like Ette1's Carrot Cake big deal.

If I change my name, I will likely never introduce myself as my maiden name ever again! So 29 years of "Hi, my name is Ette2 Amazing" will be no more, and instead I will have to be "Hi, my name is Ette2 Fantastic." It all feels so strange!!!

I'm sure I'm not the first lady to feel this way. And thankfully, I am upgrading to a name that is much less often butchered, or spelled incorrectly. I can't tell you how many absurd pronunciations I've been through in my life. (Thanks, Dad!) But I think I am going to be the first lady to do something about it.

Thus, I am declaring tomorrow, October 19th, 2007, Embrace Your Identity Day. All day tomorrow, I plan on using my first and last name to every person I come in contact with. I will use it in every format imaginable. I will say my last name so much that I will exhaust myself from saying it. And then, in the evening, I will celebrate the send-off of my identity...sort of like the "Maiden Ship" if you will (har har).

And raise my glass to toast myself, while I'm at it...


No comments: