Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why on Earth?



This morning, as I was greedily eating carrot cake (which Ette1 made special) right out of the pan it was baked in, I had a thought...who was the first person to have decided that carrots would taste good in a delicious baked treat such as cake?

Now, don't get me wrong. I am faaaarrrr from one to question anything involving carrot cake. I could eat it every day for the rest of my life. I could eat, sleep and breathe a proper carrot cake with thick, gooey cream cheese frosting-goodness. However today, this tasty treat got me thinking....why on earth would someone take carrots, which on their own certainly don't bring to mind dessert--and make a cake?

Who was the first person to determine that a LOT of the things we consider culinary delights should be eaten?

For example, truffles. Truffles are practically priceless to a chef. Anyone see No Reservations with Catherine Zeta Jones; the remake of the fantastic German film Mostly Martha? She bought her truffles black-market, and then kept them under lock and key in a safe in her kitchen. Yet truffles thrive, literally, under the poop of animals. Sounds tres magnifique. I wonder if I can train Leia the Wonderdog to put her poo to good use and cultivate mama some truffle treats. Would certainly make chasing her around the yard to pick up her deposits much more fun.

And even vodka? I mean what genius decided to ferment his potatoes (that sounds a wee bit snarky, doesn't it!?) and create the stellar drink we know and love?

And my favorite (aside from carrot cake)...CHEESE! Now what crazy sadist thought, hmmm...let me leave this milk out from my trusty cow Betsy, and allow it to curdle, and then I will put them in the sun so they harden, and add some things here and there, and then put it away in a cool, dry place for 3-6 months; voila! Yummy dairy delight!

Bon Appetite, people.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderdog? I'd like to see that beeotch in action as we're always looking for new blood on my squad!

Ette2 said...

Dear Mr. Vick,
Whilst kvetchette chooses diplomatically not to discriminate, we do unfortunately draw the line at certain types of activities our readers participate in. We have heard enough out of you regarding our adorable pooches. We have also since trained Leia and Bam Bam the name "Mike Vick" and you do NOT want to know what they do when they hear that name; oh boy, it is a sight. It gives 'sic him' a whole new meaning. So bugger off, Mr. Vick. Go play with kids your own age.