Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cleaning


I hate cleaning. But I am obsessed with clean. I am always oddly turned on when I walk into someones home and it is shining like Daddy Warbucks' head. It tells you a lot about a person - how clean (or dirty) their home is. I become a bit manic depressive over dust. I see it accumulating and I sort of go under, into a sad isolated, distant place. It pains me, really it does.

Today I spent about 4 hours cleaning the house. It had been accumulating for about two weeks and it was literally driving me to drink. (At night I would get home from work and see the dust, but I'd be so tired that I would just have a glass of wine instead because the dust magically disappears after about two glasses.) So today kinda sucked. But you know what? I could eat off my damn floors if I wanted to. So I am just walking around my house now, wine glass in hand, admiring my sparkly surfaces.
I fully intend to hire a housekeeper one of these days. Our last housekeeper, Alisha, was fabulous - but she won't travel to where we live now - she says it's too far. So alas, I have to start the hunt of finding that special someone who really knows how to get into crevices. It's not easy! But I'll be damned if I am going to spend my weekends scrubbing floors. I am too cute for that shit. And husbandette goes off to spend all day in a bar in the city doing his Fantasy Baseball picks (uh, hello, dork), I certainly don't want to resent him when he comes home because I've been on my knees all day picking up dog hair. That's certainly not very newlywed-ish.

In fact, there are two things I think are absolutely KEY to a relationship's success, and they are: 1) not having to share a bathroom with your spouse, and 2) hiring someone to clean your house so you don't have anything to be resentful about - you both work hard, why should your spare time be spent with a rag and a bottle of Pledge? I believe cleaning house is the demise of many a relationship.

No. My Sunday's are valuable, thank you very much. They are for manicures from ladies with XL latex gloves, and shopping at discount department stores.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing makes a man feel more warm and cuddly than a clean abode lovingly prepped by his woman... well, nothing other than a standard S.B.D. under the covers (aka dutch oven).