Monday, March 3, 2008

More stupid TV for the youth of America


Was just sitting in front of the telly with my NY Mag crossword puzzle (a Monday evening ritual since I was 22 yrs old) and what was on? "My Dad is Better Than Your Dad." Having never watched the show (for obvious reasons) and because I wasn't really watching anyway, I was teaching my brain new things like the fourth biggest constellation, or the main character in Guys and Dolls, or who won 4 tennis championships in the 90's, I kept it on. However because it was acting as background noise I caught a bit of the show, and I have to say, it scares me what this country is coming to. I honestly question the morality of bringing children into this world. The title of the show would suggest that at the very least, children were being given a platform (albeit a public one) to bond with their daddies and learn something from their wise old sage papas. Not so much.

Tonight's rendition of the show had dad's sporting goggles and submerging themselves headfirst into a tank full of snakes and tomatoes, in an awfully lame "bobbing for apples" rendition. "My Dad Bobs for Apples Better than Your Dad," is more like it. Woot the hell is so much better about that? Sounds kinda disgusting if you ask me. If I was mom it would be more like "My Husband is Not Gonna Get Kissed Ever Again After Sucking Snakes."

Then "dad" was quizzed (for 10k a question, no less) on things such as his kid's favorite movie, or who his kid thinks should play him in the Made for TV drama edition of their life. Is it just me or is this a blatant jab at the stereotype of father's not being involved, or knowing their kids well enough?
I ask this. What ever happened to baseball in the backyard? Frisbee golf in the park? Fixing my broken skate? Teaching me algorithms? I seriously doubt I would consider my father smarter than someone else's father because he could navigate through snakes to chomp a tomato. This is entertainment?

Now if instead NBC would have "My Dad is Hotter Than Your Dad" and we role-reversed the MILF for the DILF and exploited daddy's good looks on TV, now THAT would be quality boob tube - although would we have to then change the name to Penis Tube?
Food for thought. Happy Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grown men competing in such events as general knowledge trivia and physical challenges? What is this world coming to?!?!? DAMN YOU FOX!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!

Oh, by the way, what's a 4 letter (and 1 number) word for lame blogger?

Anonymous said...

...i'm sorry for that...I just really loved that show

Anonymous said...

Just for arguments sake, who exactly is a DILF?