Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's Tax Time!

Tax season is upon us. If you haven’t filed, then you better get going cause April is sneaking up on us and the last thing you want is the evil tax man coming to repossess your Louboutins. I went to a new guy this morning who was a total shyster – just like I like! He was asking me all these questions about potential work expenses including normal things like cell phone bills, transportation, etc, but then we got into the “other” categories, can I itemize for my cable bill – I need to stay up on pop culture for my job – yes I can! What about clothes – I’m required to look good – hey throw that in. What about entertainment – I’m in PR, I need to make friends – sure I usually bill back any business lunches to clients – but as he noted “there are always those few drinks you feel bad about expensing, they count let’s throw them in too.” So I’m looking at a big fat refund check coming my way which will come in handy, because I’m traveling for a few weddings this year and could use the cash. I wonder if I can figure out a way to itemize for wedding gifts and travel… I mean getting away from work helps revive me and when I return I’m more efficient and dedicated because I had a little break. So it seems to me vacationing is a totally acceptable work-related expense, I’ll call my accountant to check.


No comments: