Monday, April 7, 2008

FINALLY

This is a big week. All the major players come back to the boob tube and I for one couldn't be happier. What do we have to look forward to?

ER returns, thank god. I was starting to go through John Stamos withdrawal and the symptoms are nasty. Kinda like athlete's foot but stinkier.

The Office, Law and Order, Desperate Housewives, these are a few of my favorite things. And it couldn't come at a better time. Right before husbandette heads off to the other side of the world and leaves me and the dogette to entertain ourselves for a week. Great.

I do have a TV query though. Is it just me, or have these youngster's shows gotten not only more melodramatic, but materialistic? The Hills - now these girls live in LA and work at Teen Vogue as like interns to the assistants of the asswipers of the editors. They make about $2.49 cents an hour in editorial intern pay IF THAT and yet they are dressed in Marc Jacobs and dining at the Ivy. WTF? And Gossip Girl...now this is a really crazy one if you've seen it. These are NYC kids going to basically the equivalent of Dalton school. They are LOADED and they don't act like kids at all. They are having affairs (I swear, they call them affairs, even though they are like 16 and really their little boyfriend just slipped the tongue to the girl whose boobies grew overnight) and they don't really have class. They just go to Cotillion balls and high tea and crap like that. Is that real? Maybe I just grew up in the ghetto or something, but when my boyfriend cheated on me it was hair pulling curse words and it was not polite AT ALL. On Gossip Girl the chick's Grandma comes in to town and gets all devious with the teenagers. Um, I don't get it. Is that aspirational? Interesting? Nana getting all scandalous and creating drama among her granddaughter and her boyfriend?

I miss the days of the Peach Pit. Andrea has sex, she gets pregnant. Serves her right! Taught us all a lesson about unprotected sex that's for sure because she didn't look cute walking the halls in maternity wear. Dawson's Creek? Kids had no money really, they had to find local ways to entertain themselves like hanging out at the lake. Or the creek I guess. Gilmore Girls? Girlfriend is like some amazing scholar and spends all her time in a science book and running the school paper. Her grandparents are loaded and she doesn't want a dime from them. Now THAT's television. Not this hooking up with your mother's boyfriend crap. UGH the thought of that makes me want to PUKE.

No comments: