Monday, April 7, 2008

Lip Balm Addicted


Was home in Philly this weekend and made a visit to my most favorite place – the Mall. All those stores with new things to buy, a food court stock full of yummy treats – it’s a dream land and I go as often as is possible. Well I had an agenda on this trip. I forgot to bring my beloved Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 with me to Philly and my poor mouth suffered all weekend. I went at least 33 hours without delicious moisturization and withdrawal soon set in. At first I just felt dry, but then the other symptoms soon appeared, tightness in the lips, uncomfortable tingling and then the dreaded cracking. I was in dire need of the lip balm fix and no ordinary Chap Stick would do, so at the mall I was on a mission. I needed my Kiehl’s or a reasonable alternative. We popped into every store where there might be options to no avail. Finally we find a Bath and Body Works, my sister points out their Pucker Center with all sorts of colorful lip glosses – NO, I tell her, I need balm, I need silky moisture, not colorful goo on my lips! The sales people are circling, they can smell my desperation, and from every corner they move in, with their sing songy “Welcome, can I help you find anything today.” NO again, I don’t want to talk to you, I want soft, moist lips. I finally come upon a C.O. Bigelow display and find a suitable balm – 5 % shea butter, 2% sweet almond oil – this will do. I take it up to the counter and the most annoying clerk rings me up. She’s taking her time, telling me about the other great specials they have today – NO, just the balm will do. OK, she says, phone number? NO I say, just the balm. But she says it’s for coupons! NO, just the balm. OK, email? Seriously?! NO – I just wanting the freaking lip balm on my mouth and I don’t want to give you any of my private information. She seems confused; I hand over exact change and grab the bag out of her hand, and slather the cool serum all over my mouth. It’s ok, but it’s not my Kiehl’s and I miss it. We drudge on as I reapply. I begin to notice my lips are not absorbing the new, unfamiliar oils and I remain in lip balm need. We must find a Kiehl’s finally on our last stop through Bloomingdale's on the way to the car, I stop to briefly look at some dresses, and then in the distance my sister sees the classic logo – a Kiehl’s counter – I’m saved. I rush over and buy two pots – one of them a one-ounce that will last me at least a year. She asks to try some, but I cannot share, it’s much too precious. I hand over the stupid C.O. Bigelow tube to her and hold my Kiehl’s close to my heart. I’m not all better yet, I need to consistently reapply – my lips are healing, I’ll be ok, but it was a harrowing experience. I’ll never leave home without my Kiehl’s again.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like crack is a key ingredient to your lip balm...either that or french fries.

Anonymous said...

You are a freak!

Anonymous said...

hmm, i thought home was your most favorite place when coming to Philly, oh well...