Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How soon is too soon to joke about a tragedy?


For my family the answer is basically right away is fine. My Dad was in a terrible work accident and nearly lost all his fingers on one hand. We think he’ll recover – but less than a day after hearing the news, my brother suggested he replace his right hand with a hook – useful for many tasks – not good for wiping butts. Too soon to joke? No, I think not. In that vein I’ll suggest some pros on hook vs hand:

Hand Pros:

  • Good for holding things
  • Important for flipping the bird
  • Helps type text messages
  • Good for pointing
  • Good for picking nose
  • Wearing rings is easier

Hook Pros:

  • Also good for pointing – but essentially just pointing behind you
  • Useful for opening bottles
  • Handy weapon in case you come upon danger
  • Instant tooth pick
  • Instant Halloween costume, or in my Dad’s case – Purim
  • Cool factor

Looks like it’s a toss up. I say we try to rehab the hand, but if physical therapy is too much of a hassle let’s seriously consider the hook option. And Dad seriously, save some Percocet for me.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to hand it to you, you really hooked me in with this one. Take it from me, hooking ain't easy.

Anonymous said...

I think it's never too soon to joke about a tragedy. In fact my motto is "joke before tragedy strikes". For example:
"I've got my boat all ready to go when those antarctic ice sheets melt. Lots of space for two of each." or " I just love gas at $20.00 per gallon. "That way gas and drinking water are both the same price - isn't that convenient?"
So you see, making the joke BEFORE it happens will make you a star when it does happen.
Of course it's not quite so easy for accidents. But use your imagination and you never know how accurate you can be. For example "Wow, when Fred hits the ground cause his chute didn't open, I'll be able to tell him "I told you not to pack your chute and anvil in the same bag." Not funny? Perhaps, but then again neither is excessive flatulence.

Anonymous said...

i promise to save you some percoset only if you promise me to go to synagogue and pray for my hand to heal, love, the hook