Friday, May 23, 2008

Movie kvetches



Old Indy

New Indy

So Pants made me go see the new Indiana Jones. I have to admit I’ve never seen the other Jones movies, maybe I saw like part of one one time but I don’t really remember it, so there were a couple gafaws around me when they were referencing old plot points that I didn’t quite get - but that probably won’t be a problem for most people – unless you are under 30 (like me, sorry 2) in which case you were probably too young to see the movies when they first came out. Twenty years for a sequel seems a bit long, thank goodness the SATC girls didn’t wait that long, I can’t imagine I’d be interested in hearing about vaginas and cosmos when I’m 49 – at that point I’ll be more into vitamins and colonics. So basically there are a lot of chase scenes, and Indy gets out of trouble a lot. That Shia kid is cute and Cate Blanchett is awesome as some sort of KGB head. I don’t watch a lot of boy movies, but I have a hard time accepting the fact that they survive falling down three, 20-story waterfalls without a scratch and without losing his hat and that they can swing on vines like Tarzan. Also I felt bad for Indy the whole time cause he’s like 95-years-old in this movie and it just all seems like a lot of effort for him.

So there you have it, it was mildly entertaining and charming but not awesome.

I have a much funnier more interesting post about meddling mother’s in law but I’ve been asked not to repeat the story and since I’m well-known for my secret keeping abilities, I won’t share. So you know who you are - keeping the real entertainment from the people – I hope you feel good about yourself.

No comments: