Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cashmere Mafia

Okay, I know it; I am addicted to television. I revel in all the golden treats that my DVR holds within it. Some people are really into working out - lame. Some people are really into baking - forces you to work out, which is lame. I on the other hand, am into pressing the DVR button and seeing what my system has recorded. Now I usually know exactly what is on the recorded list because, well, I put it there; but every once in a while something pops up that I hastily added during a moment of weakness because the advertisement looked fun or there was some form of sex, drugs and/or rock and roll being witnessed.

Cashmere Mafia was one of those off-the-cuff moments.

Now I don't know if any of you have seen this show, but I am into two episodes so far and lovin' it. The parallels to Sex and the City are extremely overt; in fact, the majority of the story line seems to have been stolen right out of the Louboutins of SJP. But here we replace Carrie and her crew with a bunch of high-powered NYC bitches (I say that with all due respect) who work it; in the office, in the wardrobe and in the bedroom, and still find time to gather as a gaggle of gossipy business-school buds daily for lunch and gossip about whose husband is snarking who and what they are going to do about it. Enter cliche about the Blackberry and the vibrator here.

One girl thinks she's a lesbian, which is kinda cool; it's a bit L-Word, with the two hot chicks making out in Cielo on the dance floor. But for the most part it's tamer hetero stuff; like just talking about it and not really doing it.

That said, I love a show with Lucy Liu (however it's increasingly difficult to take her seriously b/c I keep imagining her in Kill Bill Vol. I as O-Ren Ishii) and I love a show where a woman's husband cheats on her and she says to him plain as day, "well now I get to take a lover so we're even-stevens." That's hot.

Bottom line? I give Cashmere Mafia a thumb between sideways and up. I give it about 6.8 pts on the 10-pt scale. It may be full of stereotypes - it may be a blatant rip-off of SATC - it may drive you crazy with cliches - But the benefits far outweigh the side effects. It's juicy, it's indulgent and it's much more fun than working out.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheating on a cheater is not "hot." You need to find a job, all this time off is warping your brain. What's next? DVR'ing old episodes of Press Your Luck on the Gameshow Channel?